Saturday, September 22, 2018

Sir Alex Ferguson receives emotional ovation on return to Old Trafford


Sir Alex Ferguson was given an emotional ovation at Old Trafford yesterday on his first return to the stadium since undergoing emergency brain surgery in May.
The former manager, described by the stadium announcer before Manchester United’s game against Wolves as “one of the greatest figures in the club’s history”, responded to the fans’ welcome by waving, smiling, and pumping both fists.
Ferguson, 76, told MUTV before the game: “It’s been a long journey and I’m gradually making steps forward, doing what my son tells me and what the doctors tell me, so, yeah, I’m feeling really good.
“But I’m a bit nervous, to be honest with you, it’s going to be quite emotional for me … I think my last game was Arsenal back in April. It was a long time but it’s great to be back.”
Asked about the messages of support he had received, Ferguson said: “It was unbelievable. There were thousands of cards and they kept arriving at Salford Royal Hospital. I’d left by that time but they kept coming and kept coming. The number of emails, texts and personal cards to the house, it was just amazing.
“I’m overcome by it and overwhelmed by it. And some of the doctors who did the operation are here too – I thought it was the right thing to do. It’s great to be back.”

Ferguson, who retired in 2013, won 38 trophies during a 26-year spell in charge of United, including 13 Premier League titles and two Champions Leagues. Before he joined United he won 11 trophies with Aberdeen. PA

0 comments:

Post a Comment